10/21/2017

You wrote 'the next big advance in philosophy’ and are not entitled to receive a BA!? There is only one way to respond, the Wittgenstein way.

Moore, accordingly, wrote to Wittgenstein to explain the situation. Wittgenstein was outraged. His work – ‘the next big advance in philosophy’ – not entitled to receive a BA!? And just because it was not surrounded with the usual paraphernalia of undergraduate scholarship! This was the limit. It was bad enough to have to offer pearls to swine; to have them rejected was intolerable. On 7 May he gave vent to his feelings in a fiercely sarcastic letter to Moore, which, for the time being, put an end both to his friendship with Moore and to his hopes of obtaining a Cambridge degree:
Dear Moore, 
Your letter annoyed me. When I wrote Logik I didn’t consult the Regulations, and therefore I think it would only be fair if you gave me my degree without consulting them so much either! As to a Preface and Notes; I think my examiners will easily see how much I have cribbed from Bosanquet. – If I am not worth your making an exception for me even in some STUPID details then I may as well go to HELL directly; and if I am worth it and you don’t do it then – by God – you might go there. The whole business is too stupid and too beastly to go on writing about it so –
L.W.
Monk - Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.