3/02/2018

How to propose successfully

The weekend companion for a refined wedding proposal.
‘Believe me, my dear Miss Elizabeth, that your modesty, so far from doing you any disservice, rather adds to your other perfections. You would have been less amiable in my eyes had there NOT been this little unwillingness; but allow me to assure you, that I have your respected mother’s permission for this address. You can hardly doubt the purport of my discourse, however your natural delicacy may lead you to dissemble; my attentions have been too marked to be mistaken. Almost as soon as I entered the house, I singled you out as the companion of my future life. But before I am run away with by my feelings on this subject, perhaps it would be advisable for me to state my reasons for marrying—and, moreover, for coming into Hertfordshire with the design of selecting a wife, as I certainly did.’
Should unfavorable circumstances emanate and lead to a rather unfortunate rejection, do not be disappointed let alone inclined to give up.
‘I am not now to learn, that it is usual with young ladies to reject the addresses of the man whom they secretly mean to accept, when he first applies for their favour; and that sometimes the refusal is repeated a second, or even a third time. I am therefore by no means discouraged by what you have just said, and shall hope to lead you to the altar ere long.’
Well, that went like a breeze and she may now fall into your arms any moment.
‘Upon my word, sir, your hope is a rather extraordinary one after my declaration. I do assure you that I am not one of those young ladies (if such young ladies there are) who are so daring as to risk their happiness on the chance of being asked a second time. I am perfectly serious in my refusal. You could not make ME happy, and I am convinced that I am the last woman in the world who could make you so. Nay, were your friend Lady Catherine to know me, I am persuaded she would find me in every respect ill qualified for the situation.’
Chevalier that your are, you defuse this delicate situation by slightly twisting the scenario.
‘Were it certain that Lady Catherine would think so, but I cannot imagine that her ladyship would at all disapprove of you. And you may be certain when I have the honour of seeing her again, I shall speak in the very highest terms of your modesty, economy, and other amiable qualification.’
Slowly you sense how she is warming to you.
‘Indeed, Mr. Collins, all praise of me will be unnecessary. You must give me leave to judge for myself, and pay me the compliment of believing what I say. I wish you very happy and very rich, and by refusing you hand, do all in my power to prevent your being otherwise. In making me the offer, you must have satisfied the delicacy of your feelings with regard to my family, and may take possession of Longbourn estate whenever it falls, without any self-reproach. This matter may be considered, therefore, as finally settled.’
 Her emotional temperature has not yet reached the expected range. A little rekindling might be in order.
‘When I do myself the honour of speaking to you next on the subject, I shall hope to receive a more favourable answer.'
Should your lady still play the reluctant, hard to get bird, do not despair. Use your killer line.
‘You are uniformly charming! And I am persuaded that when sanctioned by the express authority of both your excellent parents, my proposals will not fail of being acceptable.’

From, oh, you will easily find it on ze interweebz.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.